Ball screws are a critical component in many machinery applications. Ball screw covers offer essential protection. Manufacturers should never operate a ball screw without a cover in place. Doing so could result in severe damage. Learning about the benefits of using covers will help manufacturers select the right products for their application needs.
Table of Contents
Reasons Ball Screw Covers Are Critical in Manufacturing Operations
Ball screws require ball screw covers to keep them protected. Protecting ball screws in harsh environments will keep them operating effectively and efficiently. Consider the reasons below for selecting the right cover to keep ball screw assemblies safe from damage.
Covers Control the Temperature
The slightest deviation in temperature can lead to damage caused by heat. Every component of the ball screw faces dangers because of high heat exposure. Covers help control the temperature of the ball screw and keep it at an optimal operating temperature.
Covers Offer Protection
One of the primary reasons for covers is protection. Covers are highly protective against falling debris and liquids. When these get into the helical chambers of the ball screw assembly, corrosion and friction will lead to serious damage that will cause the assembly to fail.
How Do Covers Protect Ball Screws?
Covers offer superior protection to ball screw assemblies, keeping them operating safely and efficiently. Consider the following protective features of covers for ball screws.
- Bellows offer protection against dirt and debris that can enter inside the chambers of the screw. Significant buildups of dirt and debris can cause the ball screw to slow its rotations or lock up entirely.
- Liquids also cause ball screw assemblies to seize. Liquid contaminants can cause corrosion and a breakdown in the components, making ball screws last significantly less time. Bellows shield the ball screw components from liquids.
- Temperature extremes are an enemy to the operation of ball screw assemblies. Deviations from the normal operating temperature, which goes no higher than 300 degrees, can cause catastrophic damage to the ball screw components and result in a complete failure.
- Ball screw covers help extend the lifespan of ball screw assemblies. In some applications, these covers can more than double the life expectancy of ball screw products.
- Bellow covers are customizable to meet the unique needs of the ball screw assembly. Manufacturers work with customers to ensure they receive the right cover for their applications.
The superior protection offered by bellows ensures proper ball screw function. Manufacturers must do everything possible to protect their ball screw assemblies so they can avoid catastrophic failures.
Ball screws are innovative devices that ensure proper fluid motion for machinery applications. Without them, many machinery applications could not operate effectively or efficiently.
Manufacturers must research carefully and work with the right producer to ensure they achieve maximum efficiency. First, manufacturers must ensure their application needs. Consider the setup of the ball screw assembly and ensure you select a custom-made bellow to offer full protection. With a cover in place, manufacturers will not have to worry about their ball screw assemblies breaking down prematurely.